Putting miles on the legs...



Comments

Charles Eubanks said…
Hey Stephen, I'm really digging these videos! I've gotten something useful out of every one, and I hope you keep this up.

I'm sure you have more anatomy stuff to cover, which is super interesting, but I'm hoping you can also talk about your approach in drawing forms that twist, stretch, and overlap. For example, in How To Get A Gorilla Out Of Your Bathtub, I love how the gorilla's face looks so dimensional, yet also cartoony. Page 11 is a perfect example (the opposite page starts with "My, my, but you do have a problem...").

Most of my knowledge in this area comes from the Vilppu Drawing Manual, but when it comes to putting it into practice, I often struggle at it.

Again, thanks for the videos! Really cool of you to do this.
stephen said…
Alrighty. I posted a couple of videos today (I got busy yesterday and didn't get one up). I'm not familiar with Vilppu, but I would recommend George Bridgman's manuals on the figure and Jim McMullan's High Focus Drawing (he was a teacher of mine). There's another guy-- Mike Mattesi whose book might be worth checking out (he taught with Jim McMullan and his book is actually in print). High Focus Drawing really formed my mental approach, and I think it would probably help a lot.
Charles Eubanks said…
Thanks so much for the personalized response -- so cool!! I have Mattesi's FORCE book, and his gestural approach is really similar to Vilppu's. I've also heard of Bridgman, but haven't read his books. Bummer McMullan's book is out of print, but I did find this:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/category/line-by-line/

Popular posts from this blog

So much fun, you have to be ready for it.

What to Do When You're Sent to Your Room

On Sobriety and keeping an eye on your characters . . .